Anyone ever do this type of league?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Matty86

Anyone ever do this type of league?

PostSat May 25, 2013 11:27 am

I'm new to Strat, and I'm just wondering about the types of leagues guys do around here.

It looks like there are consecutive seasons dating back to 2007 if I'm seeing things correctly. Do guys ever start up in 2007 with complete MLB teams (one guy is the red sox, one is yankees, braves, ect..) with a complete league, and carry it over to 2008, 2009, up to current day? Making trades and everything along the way to make the team your own?

I'm still getting the hang of how things work around here, but I know I've done many leagues like that through the.. other baseball game that I play. That game however isn't web-based like this one, so I'd love to find that style of league here where I can check it on my phone and such without having to download files and open multiple programs just to see how my team's doing.

chasenally

Re: Anyone ever do this type of league?

PostSat May 25, 2013 11:34 am

Somebody does a Theme League like that but I believe they draft the players from all teams not just have one team. There are many Theme Leagues going all the time.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

Matty86

PostSat May 25, 2013 11:45 am

chasenally wrote:Somebody does a Theme League like that but I believe they draft the players from all teams not just have one team. There are many Theme Leagues going all the time.

I'm thinking that once I get the hang of the system around here more I'll try to start something like I mentioned above. I'll probably work out the details in here actually, unless that isn't allowed for some reason.

Either 24 teams where everyone starts with their chosen teams roster, and each new season we just draft from anyone who wasn't kept (Keep 18 or so from season to season). Or 12 teams where everyone gets 2 teams to draft from (1 AL/1 NL I could choose Boston and Atlanta and build my roster from the guys who were carded for those teams in 2007 for the initial season).

CATom

PostSat May 25, 2013 4:02 pm

i would join 1 AL & 1 NL team that starts in '07 and goes to '13. Think there would have to be a minimum of team cards that had to be kept and all trades would be for the currant year only - sounds like a good idea, the Boston Cardinals/Arizona Angels/Sealltle Cubs/San Francisco Rays ---- cool :)..........Tom.

Matty86

PostSat May 25, 2013 4:31 pm

In this type of league how do you go about filling rosters? Can someone go in as the commish and add players to teams?

tcochran

PostSat May 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Matty86 wrote:In this type of league how do you go about filling rosters? Can someone go in as the commish and add players to teams?

I'm commish in a number of keepers. We draft here in the forum with each manager making his/her own picks in turn. After the draft is complete, each manager loads the team into the new league online.

There are a number of different ways to keep track of the rosters. Personally, I prefer publishing them in Google spreadsheets, updating as trades, etc. occur.

Matty86

PostSat May 25, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm leaning towards starting this league in the near future. There are a few options:

1. Everyone chooses their 2 teams and drafts their team from the 2 MLB teams chosen and either
A) The unchosen players become FA's for anyone to grab. or
B) The unchosen players are ineligible for the season

2. Everyone chooses their 2 teams, and they get to rights to ALL carded players from those teams, and are allowed to "call up"/sign, and "send down"/release players from the two MLB teams that they have the rights to, as long as they don't go over the SOM enforced salary cap.

I think option 2 is the best, which would lead to the next question. What is a fair number of players to have per team? I think for season 1 (2007) ALL players from the 2 selected teams should be property of the owned team. Following the first season, rosters are cut to 30. The cut players could be entered into the draft, which would include those who were cut, as well as those players who are carded for one of the 24 MLB teams who are owned within the league, but not already on one of our rosters.

Opinions? Does that make sense? It's similar to a Face to Face league I play in, where if a super star plays for one of the few teams who we didn't draft from, they will not be in our league UNLESS they eventually end up on one of our 24 teams in real life, which would make them eligible for our draft.

Return to Individual League Chat