Game of Thrones draft

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

calbatross

Re: Game of Thrones draft

PostSat May 25, 2013 7:20 pm

As far as the draft, we have traditionally gone 23+stadium and autodrafted the last couple.

Let's stick with the plan and previous years' tradition and stop at 23 picks + stadium and autodraft the final 2. The decision was made several posts ago in part because some owners stated they enjoy the 'crap player roulette' for the final picks (see page 1 of this thread) and because it is how this group has traditionally done it in the past. Also, now that I have run into technical issues (not being able to select my most recent pick), I am afraid it could turn into a giant cluster-F.

We will have plenty of time to load teams, but let's try and get them loaded up the sooner the better.

Zim would need to drop Valdespin and select a stadium yet to complete his 23+stadium draft.

80 million, no DH, fixed (not random) division assignments...

CATom, SGTD, Terry and TomS are the first division to load. Who wants to start the league and share the password?

SGTD

PostSat May 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Cal, you need to check the draft, you were skipped. I will send you a message on Facebook as well. SGT D

calbatross

PostSat May 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Hey, Sarge, Thanks, I skipped myself... see my post on page 15. I had tech difficulty, so made my pick on the boards.

moneymaze

PostSat May 25, 2013 7:47 pm

calbatross wrote:Let's stick with the plan and previous years' tradition and stop at 23 picks + stadium and autodraft the final 2. The decision was made several posts ago in part because some owners stated they enjoy the 'crap player roulette' for the final picks (see page 1 of this thread) and because it is how this group has traditionally done it in the past. Also, now that I have run into technical issues (not being able to select my most recent pick), I am afraid it could turn into a giant cluster-F.

Agreed. It's going to take two or three days to load either way; why add another day or two for the last two excruciating rounds - especially if it's hard to get on Diamond Dope?

TomSiebert

PostSat May 25, 2013 7:50 pm

OK, so be it....every point Cal makes is correct -- we've always done it this way, we reiterated it was going to be this way a couple pages back, and some people said they liked the random crapshoot of the final two guys. If we're going to change the rules for AL-only, let's do it before the draft begins.

I've started the Game of Thrones NL-Only league.

Password: Dwarf

The Dothraki Dragons have started things for the East.

tws

Al Hogg

PostSat May 25, 2013 9:01 pm

TomSiebert wrote:So that would make it:

EAST
1 CATom
4 BED
7 Terry
10 TomSiebert

CENTRAL
2 Calbatross
5 Kramed
8 Zim
11 ehekev

WEST
3 Al Hogg
6 Meat
9 Uptown
12 Moneymaze

The Belfast Cowboys, managed by Van Morrison, are ready to go when it is time for the West.

I would suggest that other teams in the Central and West post when they are ready to go. If the West teams are all ready before the East fills, maybe we'll want to change the order.

Al Hogg

PostSat May 25, 2013 9:11 pm

MEAT wrote:frickin' barry zito cost me the panda...although they all suck at this point, but he was the last decenrt starter left, and I didn't have any lh starters, despite marte entering our beloved diviison.

Meat, just wanted to let you know that Jake Westbrook has put this quote on his locker, as I picked him after you posted this. I like the flexibility of having him as a sixth starter; it lets me sit Jaime Garcia against lefty-killing teams. Also, I might have to send Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen if he starts losing his cool.

Overall, this team will be an interesting experiment, with Medlen my highest salaried player and my next seven highest salaried players all hitters. It could turn out like the '72 Phillies, with Steve Carlton going 27-10 and the rest of the pitchers having a combined 32-87 record. With only one pure reliever drafted in the first 24 rounds with a salary over $1 million, it seems likely to be my worst bullpen ever.

moneymaze

PostSat May 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Al Hogg wrote:Overall, this team will be an interesting experiment, with Medlen my highest salaried player and my next seven highest salaried players all hitters. It could turn out like the '72 Phillies, with Steve Carlton going 27-10 and the rest of the pitchers having a combined 32-87 record.

Medlen can't go every fourth day, unlike Carlton, who started 41 of the Phils' 156 games that year (six games lost due to an early player strike).

Fun facts: Carlton was 26-7 against 10 of the NL's 12 teams and 1-3 against the Mets (who had the worst batting average in the majors), and he was 5-6 at the end of May.

The Wheels of Time are ready to go whenever we're told to enter teams.

MEAT

PostSat May 25, 2013 10:56 pm

when I saw Al's draft, I thought sure he was going for Coors...although still very much a hitter's park. kev ended up with coors. ive got busch, first pitcher's park in a while, although it should benefit what little power I have from the left side. pitching is so awful all around, I always went with that when it came down to it, so gaping holes at 2b and 3b, offesnviely and defensively, but solid front of rotation and bullpen. westbrook was under serious consideration, but needed a lh starter, and I still say he sucks, but he could be a winning pitcher with that lineup...we'll have PLENTY of opportunities to find out.

Al Hogg

PostSat May 25, 2013 11:18 pm

MEAT wrote:when I saw Al's draft, I thought sure he was going for Coors.

With all the ballpark singles, Coors would have knocked my starters out too early and left me at the mercy of my bullpen.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat