Strato "Sabermetrics" and Total Bases

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Coach K 20001

Strato "Sabermetrics" and Total Bases

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 1:41 pm

For those of you who purchase the annual Strat-o-matic Baseball Ratings book, how do you calculate total bases in regard to the number you see in the TB column for each player? My thinking is it goes something like this:

**If a 1-8 roll is a straight HR shot, then it would be 3 x 5 = 15 total bases. The three represents the total bases and the five represents the chance number that you would have to roll on eight on the strato cards. If my logic is off, I would welcome some feedback.

Also, I'm sure some of you do the draft leagues at Strat-o-matic.com each year, the salary cap leagues. Or many of you do your own draft leagues. I created my own "sabermetrics" system to evaluate position players to identify those who are "overrated" and those who are "underrated"....true Moneyball of Strato. Here it is:

OBP (30%) + HR (20%) + Hit (10%) + Defense (30%) + Speed (5%) + Outcomes (2%) + Injury (3%)

The "outcomes" represent weighing the importance of defense outcomes on the card...in other words, if you roll a 7 on the pitchers card that's the 6 chance of getting a 2B defensive roll to the x chart. It essentially weighs a 2B and a SS a little higher than a first baseman, usually a 2 chance.

I did give extra weight to hitting since it is included in the OB calculation and I also made it a separate category.

Any and all feedback on this is welcome. If anyone has there own methods of evaluating players, including pitchers, I'm all ears.

Rant

Re: Strato "Sabermetrics" and Total Bases

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 2:00 pm

This would be better served on the general forum, but I'll say that there are several different sources for number crunching and evaluation. One article that serves as a basis is: When To Play the Slick Fielder Over the Heavy Hitter or Offense vs. Defense PDF, and services like JoetheJet's ratings and SOMWORLD can give you shortcuts. There are many, many other people more qualified to dig into your formula and share other analyses, so I'll let them.

moodinator123

Re: Strato "Sabermetrics" and Total Bases

PostSun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 pm

A homerun is 4 bases anyway. so your "1-8" roll is 4x5=20 total bases.

Return to Individual League Chat