HCKL Chat/Trades

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Palmtana

Re: HCKL Chat Thread

PostMon May 06, 2019 12:47 am

But my way was so much simpler! Although I'm sure there is good reason for the fowldawg corollary I'll never understand it (and I've tried; down the page) because I'm left-brained. So Bill, keep an eye on the cuts so we're all copacetic.

So Fred needs to cut 3 and has a 2nd and 3rd Rd. picks. He get his 3rd pick after everyone else is done?

fredpaii

PostMon May 06, 2019 1:05 am

Palmtana wrote:But my way was so much simpler! Although I'm sure there is good reason for the fowldawg corollary I'll never understand it (and I've tried; down the page) because I'm left-brained. So Bill, keep an eye on the cuts so we're all copacetic.

So Fred needs to cut 3 and has a 2nd and 3rd Rd. picks. He get his 3rd pick after everyone else is done?

No, I get my 3rd rd pick in the same spot I get my 2nd rd pick but one rd later. My 3rd rd Supp. pick is not affected by my trade w/fowldog THAT way. The only thing about my 3rd rd pick was if I had dropped enough players to acquire that 3rd rd pick. After adding Cordero to the scrap-heap I accomplish that. No more issues for my 3rd rd Supp pick.

Ninersphan

PostMon May 06, 2019 10:26 am

fredpaii wrote:
Palmtana wrote:But my way was so much simpler! Although I'm sure there is good reason for the fowldawg corollary I'll never understand it (and I've tried; down the page) because I'm left-brained. So Bill, keep an eye on the cuts so we're all copacetic.

No, I get my 3rd rd pick in the same spot I get my 2nd rd pick but one rd later. My 3rd rd Supp. pick is not affected by my trade w/fowldog THAT way. The only thing about my 3rd rd pick was if I had dropped enough players to acquire that 3rd rd pick. After adding Cordero to the scrap-heap I accomplish that. No more issues for my 3rd rd Supp pick.

Fred is correct. He' cuts 3 and only get 2 picks, and plays season two with 39 players. OR he can make a supplemental rd pick after rd 3 is over to bring his roster to 40. That's what is done during the spring draft. Either is acceptable. IOn my leagues if you trade away a supplemental pick you play with 39 however.

Personally speaking this is why I myself never do an uneven trade involving a supplemental pick. I always make sure its a pick swap.

Ninersphan

PostMon May 06, 2019 10:33 am

Lets see if i can help you conceptualize the process. The biggest problem everyone has with figuring this out is that almost everyone believes that the picks a team has in a draft are theres no matter what, which is the case in professional sports leagues.

In our leagues however, you do not have picks unless you make cuts. Now we all have to make cuts so we sort of know that we have these pick in the bank so to speak. Thing of the picks like your paycheck. You can't spend the money from your check until you cash it, but you know its coming. Picks work the same way, When you trade a pick, you its like saying "I'll lend you $10 when I cash my paycheck" You can't physically give someone something you don't have. In our case you can't trade a 1st round pick unless you make the cut the gives you the first round pick.

Does that help?

Palmtana

PostMon May 06, 2019 11:50 am

Makes sense. Still keep an eye out though. :)

Fred, 2 picks it is and you'll play at 39. I'd rather have a hard a fast policy for situations like this instead of giving managers a choice of a supplemental pick to the supplemental draft.

fredpaii

PostMon May 06, 2019 11:57 am

fredpaii wrote:

Oops! Bob, you were referring to a third pick and not my 3rd round pick. Why didn't I see that? Oh well. I'm old...give me a mulligan.

Palmtana

PostMon May 06, 2019 9:54 pm

I guess I should look at our league rules, minimal as they are, on occasion. What Bill said is laid out there.

The Supp draft will only be 36 picks in duration, and no picks after those 36 (to get to a 40-man roster) will be allowed. This means if you trade a supp pick prior to the draft, you will only have 2 picks left and will not get to add a player later. You will still have the option to promote a prospect to get to 40.

Now I (we) know. I do like the prospect promotion part though Bill. ;)

Ninersphan

PostMon May 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Palmtana wrote:I guess I should look at our league rules, minimal as they are, on occasion. What Bill said is laid out there.

The Supp draft will only be 36 picks in duration, and no picks after those 36 (to get to a 40-man roster) will be allowed. This means if you trade a supp pick prior to the draft, you will only have 2 picks left and will not get to add a player later. You will still have the option to promote a prospect to get to 40.

Now I (we) know. I do like the prospect promotion part though Bill. ;)

Completely different scenario,. This is making a promotion to fill a roster when you do not have any picks left. Not making a promotion in lieu of a pick. Makes a HUGE difference to me.

Palmtana

PostWed May 08, 2019 5:37 pm

FD Corollary question. Like Fred, I traded away my 1st rd. Supp pick. However my roster is at 39. So do I need to only drop 2 players unlike the 3 that Fred needed to? Then I would play at 39. Or do I need to drop 3 and then play at 38. Thanks.

Ninersphan

PostWed May 08, 2019 5:47 pm

Palmtana wrote:FD Corollary question. Like Fred, I traded away my 1st rd. Supp pick. However my roster is at 39. So do I need to only drop 2 players unlike the 3 that Fred needed to? Then I would play at 39. Or do I need to drop 3 and then play at 38. Thanks.

Your first cut covers your traded pick, your second cut covers your second round pick. Now if the total number of picks is less than 36, then you get to pick in round 3, but if that pick would put the total number at 37 ( I don't believe it will) then you forfeit third rounder.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat