The "Original" 24 TKL

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

seanreflex

Re: The "Original" 24 TKL

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 2:37 pm

Rant wrote:First, thank you to Cal for another year of uber organization and a smooth draft. You really go above and beyond for this involved league format.

Second: Is the roster requirement limited only by SOMO France engine (28 rostered)?

Finally, I'm calling for a vote to amend the rules, such that General Rule 7 reads as follows:

Any draft picks owned that would put a roster over the 30 man limit are forfeited upon the time the pick becomes actionable.

1. Rant - Yes

Hey Rant, is the intent of your proposal to allow managers to keep all picks upon entering the draft, to use them for trade collateral, until it's time for that pick to be made? You would only have to forfeit the 8th pick of the 9th round, for example, if it would put you over 30 at the time of the pick? But up until that time while the draft is running, you own it and are free to trade it?

Thanks for the clarification.

Sean

timklucinec

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 2:46 pm

[quote="seanreflex"][quote="Rant"]First, thank you to Cal for another year of uber organization and a smooth draft. You really go above and beyond for this involved league format.

Second: Is the roster requirement limited only by SOMO France engine (28 rostered)?

Finally, I'm calling for a vote to amend the rules, such that General Rule 7 reads as follows:

Any draft picks owned that would put a roster over the 30 man limit are forfeited upon the time the pick becomes actionable.

1. Rant - Yes
2. Tim K - Yes

Hey Rant, is the intent of your proposal to allow managers to keep all picks upon entering the draft, to use them for trade collateral, until it's time for that pick to be made? You would only have to forfeit the 8th pick of the 9th round, for example, if it would put you over 30 at the time of the pick? But up until that time while the draft is running, you own it and are free to trade it?

Thanks for the clarification.

Sean

calbatross

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Let's hold the phone on this because I am unclear as to what he means as well.

If you have a proposal for a rule change, please bring it up with me via PM before posting it for a vote. For one, I need to understand it to be able to implement it. Then, I think there should be sufficient time for others to ask questions or debate.

To be continued.

-Cal

calbatross

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 2:59 pm

The reason that unnecessary picks are forfeited at the start of the FA draft is because there needs to be some sort of cutoff.

After the draft starts, I don't think it is fair to others that the draft order should change. In other words, Jockeying for position by mid-draft trades should not permit you to re-interject your draft pick before someone else if, at the start of the draft, you no longer needed it.

I strongly recommend that all owners should do whatever draft pick trading and jockeying for position before the draft starts.

To allow forfeited picks to be restored created a more complicated situation for me to manage. It especially gets complicated when you thing about times assigned to picks. When picks are assigned times, owners should expect their published window to not change. if a dead pick gets reactivated, the result could be to change the draft schedule mid-day. That could create an unfair situation for anyone whose schedule gets changed basically unannounced because of a transaction.

It also isn't really fair to other owners to allow an owner to have an opportunity to reclaim a forfeited pick ahead of another owner after the draft begins.

By rule all teams need to have 30 players. That is why supplemental picks are added to the end of the draft as necessary, in the order they are required as a result of confirmed trades. They are not intended to restore lost picks original value.

calbatross

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 3:17 pm

I have rewritten General Rule 7 to match the precedent that I have followed in running these drafts since 2017, and to remove any ambiguity resulting from the commentary I posted on the Rules tab of our GoogleDoc. Here is the rewritten rule:

7) When the FA draft order is established, after all cuts are reported, any draft picks owned that would put a roster over the 30 man limit are forfeited. Because each roster must be at 30 players at the end of the FA draft by rule, supplemental picks will be added to the end of the draft, as necessary, in the order they become required due to confirmed trades. (rule rewritten to match precedent from 2017 through 2020)

The goal is to keep the draft simple to manage with the least risk of disputes.

If someone would like to suggest a rule change, please PM me your suggestion and I will try to work with you to write a clear rule before we put it to a vote.

That said, I strongly recommend keeping Rule 7 as stated above, for the reasons I posted earlier. I feel strongly enough about it that I would relinquish my role as commissioner if it were to be changed. It is hard enough herding cats for these things :) I don't have the time or patience to deal with disputes that could arise out of a different scenario.

calbatross

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 3:27 pm

Rant wrote:First, thank you to Cal for another year of uber organization and a smooth draft. You really go above and beyond for this involved league format.

1. Rant - Yes

To address the other items Rant brought up

First, thank you, I appreciate the kind comment!

Second, Yes, the in-game roster requirement is whatever SOM will allow. This change was made before play in 2019 to avoid situations where I have to manually check everyone's rosters to make sure they are playing within the rules and inflict penalties for those that weren't. Again, keep things simple and avoid disputes, especially the type of dispute that could alienate an owner from our league and/or SOM Online in general. If up to 28 players is good enough for SOM Online, then up to 28 is good enough for us. If SOM would ever allow this to be managed in league settings, it could be revisited. Other keeper leagues I am in have also adopted this change.

calbatross

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 3:56 pm

The drafts really did run smoothly this year. Thank you all for being prompt and responsive throughout the process.

Thank you also to our new owners, and best wishes as you reshape the teams you inherited into something your own. You brought some new energy to the league that I am certain everyone appreciates.

seanreflex

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:10 pm

calbatross wrote:The drafts really did run smoothly this year. Thank you all for being prompt and responsive throughout the process.

Thank you also to our new owners, and best wishes as you reshape the teams you inherited into something your own. You brought some new energy to the league that I am certain everyone appreciates.

Cal, you ran the drafts extremely well. It makes the leagues so very enjoyable!

As one of the new team owners, I enjoyed making trades, and reaching out and getting to know several of the owners at a personal level. That's the best part of these games for me.

As for General Rule 7, I understand all the reasons you want to keep it as you worded it above.

I do have one question: We can have 28 players on our Strat game roster; but we have 30 players that belong to us. What is the rule if during the Strat season we wanted to add one of our other players to our roster? If we dropped on of our players to pick up another player we have rights to, do we lose the rights to the dropped player? I don't see it addressed specifically in the rules. Player movement rule 5 states only 3 reasons for dropping a player.

My thought / point is, if I didn't select the right 28 of my 30 players when I entered the league, I effectively have no opportunity to use those 2 players for any purpose. when we pick the 28 guys to enter the league with, we effectively have cut the other two players, correct?

The only reason having a 30 man roster would be an advantage would be if we were holding uncarded players (Miguel Andujar, for example). Is that the primary intent? The last 2 (or more) spots can act as a Disabled List?

I may be missing other reasons. I'm just trying to know if those two players I left off my 28 man roster are "dead to" :D

Cal, thanks for all the information and clarification on this issue. This is my first time in the league, but I've reviewed some past threads and info, and I know General Rule 7 is a pain in every commish's backside. I support you 100% in keeping it as you stated.

Thanks,

Sean

timklucinec

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi Guys, Does anyone want to trade a decent 1B or OF or DH that can hit well on both side of the plate. I can trade a high draft Pick for next year. Thanks much.

Tim K
Allegheny River Pirates

Stay safe & well!

seanreflex

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:49 pm

timklucinec wrote:Hi Guys, Does anyone want to trade a decent 1B or OF or DH that can hit well on both side of the plate. I can trade a high draft Pick for next year. Thanks much.

Tim K
Allegheny River Pirates

Stay safe & well!

Hey Tim,

I sent you a PM. Thx,

Sean
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat