The "Original" 24 TKL

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Rant

Re: The "Original" 24 TKL

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 3:27 pm

fredpaii wrote:I can use some relief help.

Just to be clear, Turtle meant relief pitchers who will be good next year.

thechamp87

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 pm

1. Turtle - Yes (no draft)
2. Smitty - Yes (no draft)
3. fredpaii - No (yes draft)
4. Rant - Yes (no draft )
5. Thechamp87 - Yes ( no draft )

fredpaii

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 3:41 pm

I honestly don't get this. Other than being a lot of work, I don't see the rpoblem in having the Supp draft. We can keep loading teams for now and do the Supp draft simultaneously. Don't see why not.

Drafts seem integral to the Keeper league process. I know even in situations like this where the market is dry that it's cool to upgrade the team with any kind of picks. It makes it interesting. I don't really care that it's later in the year than normal (my tomatoes were planted later in the year too...but they still juicy!)

buzz082308

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 4:02 pm

No (yes draft)

hveed

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 4:18 pm

I like tomatoes!

No (yes draft)

provided we get the league started first

Rant

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 4:54 pm

fredpaii wrote:I honestly don't get this. Other than being a lot of work, I don't see the rpoblem in having the Supp draft. We can keep loading teams for now and do the Supp draft simultaneously. Don't see why not.

Drafts seem integral to the Keeper league process. I know even in situations like this where the market is dry that it's cool to upgrade the team with any kind of picks. It makes it interesting. I don't really care that it's later in the year than normal (my tomatoes were planted later in the year too...but they still juicy!)

Not sure I can work in a tomato reference, but the issue would be that all the stats are already complete, so a draft which is designed as a midseason draft becomes an after-season draft. It means that we're doing a pre-card draft, not a supplemental. It's not about the well being dry (beyond that having the draft shouldn't impact this year's teams), but rather the intent of the draft and the agony/time suck of actually making the draft happen.

jodynadu

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 5:20 pm

my opinion remains that if you want to vote on a change to the league rules, you should perform that vote before the season begins; not in the middle.

this vote should not be on rather or not to hold the draft. We have all committed to abide by ALL the rules of the league - not just the ones that aren't too high, too far, or too long.

blsmith7

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Jody - I am happy to see that you checked in more than once this month. But, it's as if you not reading the other posts. You simply want to conduct a draft because it says so in the rules. Yes, we all agreed to abide by the rules, but circumstances dictate that the rules need to be superseded in this case, which is why we have a commissioner. We didn't sign on for a change of websites, and nothing in the rules states anything with regard to how to handle that situation. But, it happened. We're lucky to even still have interest in a league this size, and Turtle has done a good job to maintain interest. It certainly would help if we had owners who checked in more frequently. The supplemental draft is meant to be a mid-season draft, and now it would not be so. As such, a decision was already made to skip it.

I get the feeling that if you were around in colonial days, we would still be living under the failed rules of the Articles of Confederation, or even further, have a photograph of the Queen hanging in the parlor and having this argument over fantasy cricket.

Deal with the change, understanding that moving forward, the normal rules will apply. This was an extraordinary situation and has been dealt with already. Please just load your team and let's go, so that we can put it behind us. Soon enough, Turtle will be arranging a FA draft and that will be hassle enough. Although I must admit to wondering what gem it is that you have uncovered in the FA pool worth making this fuss over.

buzz082308

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Im having trouble loading my team. I have everything correct and the password correct.I click join and it just sits there. This has happened before to me, in other pasword protected leagues. Once, it took another player to enter, then I was able to enter. Does it ever happen to anyone else? Is there something I might have blocked? My team is ready, I will try loading as soon as someone else joins.

qksilver69

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 2:58 am

Sorry Buzz, no idea on the loading issue, has not happened to me before, but maybe try drafting a few different players?

Jody, Fred, and any others who have an issue with skipping the Supp draft:

1) As noted above, the impact of these supp-drafted players was minimal.

2) As noted above, the timing of the site going down completely destroyed the purpose of the supp draft. It was intended to balance win-now vs. win-next-year tweaks, and in the context of a risk-reward scenario, not offering a guaranteed card with no risk attached.

3) These leagues are not democracies. It is up to the Commish to decide when to have a vote, and simply calling a vote is a 24-team league is a hugely time-consuming process that would make us lose even more momentum. Momentum is in very short supply in this format. Making this kind of decision is 100% in the Commish's purview - look at the big picture, do what is in the best interests of the league.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat