Palmtana

Re: USKL 2 Chat/Trades

PostThu Nov 09, 2023 10:17 pm

Confirmed

Palmtana

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 1:43 am

Cease/Buehler trade

No one has questioned this trade but it got me to thinking. I have a difficult time determining if a trade is fair….kinda fair….one-sided….So I thought I would put down my thoughts on this one as a virtual sounding board for your own trades.

Neither Buehler or Cease will have a playable card next year. No advantage for Ernie or me.

The future: Cease has had 1 good season out of his 5 in the Majors. Buehler is 4 for 5. Point for me.

Season 2 lineups: Ernie gets Cease for 90 games to improve his chances at a ring. I’ll have a lower RV which will somewhat improve my chances for a higher pick in the FA Draft. Point for Ernie.

Ernie gets Bard (38) for 90 games for a Ring Run. I get Brash who is 13 years younger and, despite the fact that he will often walk the bases full, will have a playable card next year. A wash.

So, from my point of view, this trade had no losers. Only winners depending on the time frame.

dc irish

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 2:26 am

Palmtana wrote:Cease/Buehler trade

No one has questioned this trade but it got me to thinking. I have a difficult time determining if a trade is fair….kinda fair….one-sided….So I thought I would put down my thoughts on this one as a virtual sounding board for your own trades.

Neither Buehler or Cease will have a playable card next year. No advantage for Ernie or me.

The future: Cease has had 1 good season out of his 5 in the Majors. Buehler is 4 for 5. Point for me.

Season 2 lineups: Ernie gets Cease for 90 games to improve his chances at a ring. I’ll have a lower RV which will somewhat improve my chances for a higher pick in the FA Draft. Point for Ernie.

Ernie gets Bard (38) for 90 games for a Ring Run. I get Brash who is 13 years younger and, despite the fact that he will often walk the bases full, will have a playable card next year. A wash.

So, from my point of view, this trade had no losers. Only winners depending on the time frame.

Is that me hearing no-one asking for my opinion? Well then...

I think it's a win-win. Future value for win-now is always the easiest way to create value on both sides. Some people know this (and several have experienced it in my trade offers and how I present them) but a big part of my current job is acting as a mediator for collective bargaining agreements between Unions and Employers. So I always take the viewpoint of the win-win (in my job, and in Strat), I try to identify risk where it lies and value (or de-value) a portion of a trade based on the risk a certain player has (i.e. injury history or prospects generally, not every top prospect is going to the Hall of Fame guys, just ask me and how I went ALL IN on Asa Lacy a couple years ago, cough cough...), and then bake that into a trade, try to find future value in prospect projections, all that jazz. Sean can tell you we've had some trades that have been questioned in other leagues we are in, and I would say 80% of them a year later look like the "loser" of the trade came out way ahead.

I like this trade for both you guys.

Palmtana

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 3:46 am

That's true Jim. As far as your comments on prospects goes. There are a few adages that I've always remembered from the boards....cummings2 saying not to set a player to "steal more" unless his 2nd possibility number is 13 or greater.... luckyman saying that you can get away with walks from your SP's in a pitchers park....when I played Autoleagues, JPav and his $32M/$48M split for pitching/hitting.

And tcochran saying that prospect picks can be considered chaff (my term; I just recall his sentiment). Don't be afraid to trade them away because the chances are those that are picked will not succeed long term.

Hamilton17

PostSun Nov 12, 2023 12:00 am

I saw the trade. I like it for both of you as well. It's possible that Cease bets traded to the Dodgers which would boost his value in future. I think Buehler will be a stud next year. Good luck y'all!

edub1969

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 9:56 am

Trade announcement

edub1969 trades

Shohei Ohtani
Alexis Diaz
Ramon Laureano

to Hamilton17 for

Jeff McNeil
Jacob deGrom
Kyle Bradish
His 2025 1st Rd FA pick

Joseph to confirm

Hamilton17

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 9:57 am

edub1969 wrote:Trade announcement

edub1969 trades

Shohei Ohtani
Alexis Diaz
Ramon Laureano

to Hamilton17 for

Jeff McNeil
Jacob deGrom
Kyle Bradish
His 2025 1st Rd FA pick

Joseph to confirm

Confirmed.

Palmtana

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 1:34 pm

2025 picks are ineligible to be traded until the "2025 Drafts" tab is added to the google doc. This happens within a week or two after the conclusion of Season 2. I've recorded the trade without the pick. After the 2025 tab is added post the FA pick here and I'll record it also.

Hamilton17

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 1:51 pm

Sounds good.

Just to be sure that we don't miss it, can you record the trade with a 2024 1st going to him from me, and when the 2025's are available, we'll do a 1 for 1 to swap it back?

I just don't want to forget.

Thanks!
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat