NLD 64 - This League is on Fiers

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Spider 67

Re: NLD 64 - This League is on Fiers

PostFri Nov 24, 2023 9:54 am

Didn't expect to do so jump on Skubal right off the bat. We were having more trouble than I expected against Lorenzen. Joe jumped on Schmidt quickly in Game 4. Then Moran came in with 4 solid innings - he had been having a terrible post-season.

We'll see if Urias can finally have a good game. He's been hit hard in the semis and in Game 1 of the finals. So far, I've had some nice surprises from Abrams and Gamel. Realmuto has had a strong post-season. As Joe pointed out, we've hit .302 against steve and Joe - that's vs. .260 in the regular season.

We need one more good game. Always worry about facing JTJ's team. Judge has been silent except for his slam in Game 2. Can't expect to keep him boxed up forever.

joethejet

PostFri Nov 24, 2023 1:51 pm

Spider 67 wrote: Judge has been silent except for his slam in Game 2. Can't expect to keep him boxed up forever.

Not that it matters much, but it wasn't a slam, it was a 2 run homer. We did, however, score 4 runs that inning. Yeah, obviously when you spend 15 mil on a player you're counting on him to drive your offense. We got lucky to get past Stoney, only because of his injuries, not going to get past a second very good team without him producing. It's now or never for him....

Spider 67

PostFri Nov 24, 2023 4:07 pm

joethejet wrote:
Spider 67 wrote: Judge has been silent except for his slam in Game 2. Can't expect to keep him boxed up forever.

Not that it matters much, but it wasn't a slam, it was a 2 run homer. We did, however, score 4 runs that inning. Yeah, obviously when you spend 15 mil on a player you're counting on him to drive your offense. We got lucky to get past Stoney, only because of his injuries, not going to get past a second very good team without him producing. It's now or never for him....

Yep, Rodriguez had already brought in the go-ahead run. Judge just stuck an extra pin in my balloon, the Holderman shut us down.

Spider 67

PostSat Nov 25, 2023 9:07 am

Well, I was getting ready to crow about Jimenez coming back after his injury, but Judge made me eat crow. Urias looked good for 4 innings, while living off his card, and Jimenez started off with a double and HR. Then things began to crumble. :cry:

Cortes and Bieber could give the fans a good game 6. Joe's gotta be pumped by that comeback win.

joethejet

PostSat Nov 25, 2023 2:58 pm

Unbelievable for my team, we never do anything like that in the playoffs. I started watching it on fast forward, I had given up. I mean, it was 6-0 and we had one hit going to the bottom of the fifth.

Judge got a big hit, it's true (off of the pitcher's card). His only one of the game. Still hitting .122 and he k'd 3 times now has 16 k's in 44 PA! :shock: :cry: I just laugh at him. Couldn't believe that he actually got a big hit. With two outs no less. Of course, we *did* get a HUGE break when Grandal, hitting off of a RHP, drove in the winning run off of Graterol's card. :oops: Pure luck there. And then an infield single to 3b. I'm guessing the infield was likely in so that's not a total luck, 1-8.

Somehow Garrett Hill navigated 2.1 IP in "mopup" role without giving up a hit. :shock: :o

Speaking of returning from injury, Carpenter got a pair of hits and scored twice.

You have a HUGE advantage with Cortes v Bieber. We're hoping for a LOT of rolls on our card, that's pretty much the only way we're going to win that one.

RandyW64

PostSun Nov 26, 2023 4:23 am

Congrats to Spider on the Champ! Tight final game until JT came through!
Way to go Joe too, in getting that far.
Randy

Spider 67

PostSun Nov 26, 2023 9:51 am

A really tight game 6 - Cortes and Bieber were both in top form. I was lucky to come out on top. J.T. came through with a 3-5 single (1-8 chance) vs. Holderman for the go-ahead RBI.

Realmuto was my top hitter throughout the playoffs (1.243 OPS, 4 HRs, 2 triples) and post-season MVP. Cortes was almost untouchable with 3 post-season wins and Graterol had 5 saves.

Whew!!!

joethejet

PostSun Nov 26, 2023 7:06 pm

Congrats to the unstoppable Spider. Four champs in five seasons. Not that we were much of a challenge. We've now failed in the playoffs 10 straight times. Silver still holds the record at 13. He lost all of those after winning 3 of the first 8 NLDs with 7 playoff appearances.

We're just so pathetic in the playoffs. Judge being the latest example. I mean you *expect* Realmuto to outhit him by a mile right? He finished at .116 for the playoffs with 16 k's in 48 PA (33%). Believe it or not, he was actually better against Spider than Stoney, hitting .136 (3-22) with two homers and a double. :cry:

Actually, had a chance to take a 3-2 lead in the 9th, but Carpenter missed a 1-4 bphr. :cry: Tough odds, but we've all seen it happen.

Of course, Spider did have a very good pitching team (2nd in the league) and they shackled us (2nd in runs scored) for sure. You don't lead the league in wins without being a good team and we lost to a very good team. We went 5-10 against him so clearly we're not good enough to get there. Heck, we only got to the finals because of Stoney's injuries so ....

Congrats again Spider! NLD we need to figure out a way to stop this guy!

Way to go Joe too, in getting that far

Thanks Randy. :)

That's a wrap for this season. Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving and that your Christmas is a good one! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

klx22

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 7:07 am

Congrats, Spider!

Jeepdriver

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 8:47 am

WTG Spider. You've been having a lot of success the last few years. Maybe it's time to write a book and share your secrets. :)
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat